Greetings from Shorter Designs! February is a wonderful time to stay inside and keep warm. While you are cooped up take advantage of organizing items on your computer. We often forget that email, desk icons, and digital pictures can be a source of major clutter. There are a lot of ideas to consider. Listed below are just a few:
- Set aside at least 10 minutes a day to deal with email. Even if you don’t reply right away, read all of your email, and delete any email you know you won’t read or don’t need after one reading. Flag email that needs an urgent reply, and reply as soon as you can. It may be one night after the kids are in bed you spend longer replying to a few emails, or maybe on a Saturday afternoon when you find a few spare minutes.
- Look through your digital pictures. Delete ones that have bad lighting, are fuzzy, or ones that are similar. Label each picture if you’d like to remember who is in it or what function you are attending. Sort them into folders so you can easily retrieve photos you enjoy or want to send to a loved one. The folders can be labeled by date, person, event, etc. Wait to load photos onto your computer until you have at least 30 minutes so that you can label and organize as you go. This way you won’t have too many pictures at a given time so that it overwhelms you.
- If you have a lot of desktop icons, look at them with a fresh eye. Do you really use all of them enough to warrant a special button? If you have lots you need, organize them alphabetically so you and others can find what you need more quickly.
- To really go for the gusto, look through old files. Delete ones that are outdated or that are no longer useful to you. Once you have trashed these, save the rest of your files on CD or a memory stick for permanent storage in case of computer failure.
Hopefully these ideas will get you started to help make your computer easier to navigate!
Here are some great things to do in February:
- Send a Valentine’s Day card to someone who may be lonely this year.
- Set a time to be with that special someone around Valentine’s Day. Take just a few minutes to plan something special for him or her. Follow through in order to nurture your relationship.
- Start and maintain a file for all of the tax documents you will be receiving in the mail.